My Salsa

So having a job in Santa Ana (the Mexican capital of America) has its advantages. Recently at work, I helped put together a salsa competition. It was awesome.

JUST SALSA.JPG

There were a total of 14 different salsas entered into the ‘Salsa Gigante’ competition.  Entries included red salsas, salsa verdes, pico de gallos, shrimp salsas (my entry), fire roasted salsas, and a mango salsa.  The mango salsa was pretty terrible.

Ingredients ranged from the usual stuff like cilantro and onions to all kinds of chili peppers like serrano, jalapenos, chili de arbol, and habanero chili pepppers.  Apparently garlic and orange juice were favorites as well.April May 2009 060.jpg

The lunch time fiesta was made complete with tunes from a local mexican radio station and a light lunch of beans, rice, carnitas, chips, and more salsa.

When all the scores were tallied, I finished with a 2.3 out of 5 average.  This earned me the ‘Triste Pequeno’ award for the lowest scoring salsa.  Comments I received were ‘too shrimpy’ and ‘Why didn’t you tell me there was shrimp? I am allergic to shrimp!’

Whoops. I think the 0 out of 5 that accompanied this last comment really cemented my last place finish.

And when it came down it, someone who secretly entered a Sav-On brand salsa won the blind taste test and was given a certificate for the ‘Sabado Gigante’ award for the best overall salsa.  Traditional Mexcian family recipes pased down over the generations were no match for salsa out of a jar. It was another good day at work in the non-profit world.

triste pequeno.jpg

1. letters
    May 22, 2009 @ 11:41:46

Comp? you switched the titles… YOU SWITCHED THE TITLES!

May 22, 2009 @ 10:05:32

Wow, sample jam. Nice one Comp.

3. letters
    May 21, 2009 @ 22:41:35

He switched the samples… HE SWITCHED THE SAMPLES!

May 21, 2009 @ 17:44:27

It wasn’t me it was the one-armed man!

May 21, 2009 @ 14:53:31

Alright, listen up, people. Our jacket has been on the run for nineteen days. Average jacket speed over uneven ground barring injuries is 1 miles-per-hour. That gives us a radius of four hundred fifty-six miles. What I want from each and every one of you is a hard-target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area. Checkpoints go up at five hundred miles. Your fugitive’s name is Finance’s jacket. Go get it.

May 20, 2009 @ 22:40:01

I know, I know…I’m working on it – top priority right now. But if we don’t have it by Friday, I’m calling off the search…we’re using up too many valuable resources and it’s looking pretty bleak. I’m so, so very sorry.

May 20, 2009 @ 19:59:18

Don’t forget Finance’s jacket.

May 20, 2009 @ 19:13:21

The leftover, cold salsa, stale chips and Seagrams Seven…the Maughan’s Thursday night/Friday morning drunken feast. You don’t wanna know what happened to it after that.

May 20, 2009 @ 17:51:03

Hahaha. Squeeze a handful of Del Scorcho or Inferno in your salsa next time to give it that extra kick. Guaranteed winner. What happened to the leftover salsa? Can you put it in a bucket and bring it by my place along with my sweatshirt / hooded thing.

May 20, 2009 @ 16:16:56

Where’s this salsa from? “New York City!” Nice work Triste Pequeno, I think shrimp salsa is well…original. Rabbi? (Does the Rabbi even own a computer?) Shrimp Salsa? I dunno brah. Should’ve gone with Pace Picante. Sweet picture though.