New Beer’s Eve

prohibition.jpg

Today marks 75 years since the day that the Cullen-Harrison Act, which raised the legal limit in alcohol from .5%, called near-beer, to 3.2%, and was the first step towards the end of the 14-year prohibition on alcohol, was passed. And while alcohol was still relatively easy to find during Prohibition, Chicago had around 20,000 speakeasies, the new tax on alcohol bolstered our economy. Our good friends in St. Louis, Missouri are celebrating, so why don’t you? Raise a toast of Adolphus tonight, or you can get out!

You can read the article over here at CNN, or read some more history here.

Apr 09, 2008 @ 11:11:29

Yeah, that makes sense to me Nova. I’ll send you some euros just as soon as I collect the money. When’s our next meeting?

2. defense
    Apr 09, 2008 @ 04:00:59

Except for when they try to take over the world. Twice.

3. nova
    Apr 08, 2008 @ 23:23:08

i thought the tiebreaker only mattered if you had both teams in the final game, and both players picked the winner of the tournament. but, as competition placed the decision in your hands bunch, i will go with whatever you feel is fair. fairness, a deutschland characteristic.

4. competition
    Apr 08, 2008 @ 12:22:55

As minister of competition I proclaim M&T the winner of the NCAA tournament bracket challenge. That means every one of you chumps who entered (myself included) owes the man 10 bucks. Due to the odd nature of the victory however, I find it reasonable that the winnings be split among the two ministers who acquired the most points in our humble pool. I leave the option to do this or not with the winner. Congratulations M&T!

Apr 08, 2008 @ 09:40:08

So does this mean I won? Haven’t heard anything from ID, but my tiebreaker was 12 pts from the total, and his was 30 pts. I thought that was the actual rule on ESPN’s game, and that it would show the results, but apparently not, as it still shows us as tied. I think splitting the hypothetical internet money would be the only fair conclusion to this.

6. Health
    Apr 08, 2008 @ 02:52:47

I got so hammered tonight celebating the anniversary of the end of prohibition I thought that the New Kids on the Block were making a comeback… oh wait, that’s true

7. defense
    Apr 08, 2008 @ 00:53:12

I just ate a lot of goat. Maybe too much goat.