Rat Race

Thanks to the lovely Simone Gonzalez I spent last Sunday at the beautiful California Speedway watching the Auto Club 500 NASCAR race.  It brought me back to my redneck/skateboarder days in Chico going to the sprint car races at the Silver Dollar Fair, but this was the big leagues.  Not only was this redneckness of a magnitude I never though possible, but my own circumstances of attendence had been stepped up as well.  You see, I watched no less than half a dozen laps of the race while explaining the finer points of shooting a laser from a plane to the The Postman himself, a.k.a. Kevin Costner, in his private box after he stood on the platform and started the race with the traditional "Gentlemen, start your engines."  Real deem.

Simone

Standing on the track, where minutes later cars would race by at, I don’t know, like 400mph.

Costner

"Acting" as the anouncer at a NASCAR race on the same day as the Oscars, Mr. Kevin Coster.  Apparently The Guardian was not nominated.

Jim_beam_car

Here is me, looking, as usual, like an incredible shitbag.  Behind me is the Jim Beam car driven by the one and only Robby Gordon.  Thanks to our pit passes we were able to walk through the different pits and check out the cars up close before the race.  Those cars are pretty fuckin’ badass.

Dale_earnhardt_jr

The man I came to see.  Unfortunately he had to pull out of the race at lap 69 due to engine problems.  It broke my heart, but I could still feel The Intimidator smiling down from heaven.

This Saturday, thanks again to Mr. Geoffrey Andrew Fricker, IV, some of us are will be rooting for the Clippers just down the way from my place at Staples Center.  Pictures to come, no thanks to Dane.

-Boomann-

P.S.- Aside from John and Josh, I HAVE THE MOST EXCITING LIFE OF THE GROUP!!!

1. schroeiki
    Mar 01, 2007 @ 22:56:29

I’ve been to Costner’s bar in Deadwood, SD, saw many photos of the man, seriously every wall is plastered with his face and boy am I jealous of you S.L.B.

2. E
    Mar 01, 2007 @ 14:48:20

Hey Mike wouldn’t it be sweet if the cars were going like 420 mph?

3. E
    Mar 01, 2007 @ 14:47:12

Yeah Mike it was the 69th, Baumann says it plain and clear. Why would you ask… oh, oh I get it, nice!

4. nova
    Mar 01, 2007 @ 00:05:42

hey did ya’ll see what number the lap was when earnhardt withdrew…get it.

5. trade
    Feb 28, 2007 @ 19:45:37

My town smells like chocolate

Feb 28, 2007 @ 13:31:13

(in my best james earl jones voice.) “People will come Ray! People will come! (or) “You told me your finger was a gun!” im going to watch field of dreams now.

7. defense
    Feb 28, 2007 @ 12:57:10

Being Scott Baumann is great, but it’s not all hanging out with celebrities and attending sporting events. A life lived with such passion and gusto is full of high highs and equally low lows. One day you’re on top of it all and nothing could be better, and the next day you’re too broke to buy food, you’re moving from couch to couch for months at a time, your girlfriend leaves you for Keith Olbermann and the respected Baumann name is being tarnished by a nation wide Internet sex scandal. Sometimes things are good. Sometimes things are bad. Right now, things are good.

8. mandrew
    Feb 28, 2007 @ 12:22:21

I know most members of IFS are just wishing they were Scott Baumann, God knows I am. I’m glad you told Costner about lasers, that makes two celebrities we’ve converted to the Laser.